Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local Research Postgraduate Students
The HK Government has set up a Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local Research Postgraduate Students. Starting from Fall 2018/19, students (both new and current ones) who meet ALL of the criteria 1-3 in Section A below will be given the tuition waiver, i.e. they are not required to pay the tuition.
A. Criteria for Being Qualified for the Tuition Waiver
- Enrolled in a full-time MPhil or PhD program
- Hold a local student status, defined as follows:
- Having (i) right of abode (A), (ii) right to land (R) or (iii) unconditional stay (U) in Hong Kong as shown in an HKSAR smart ID beneath the date of birth.
- Aged below 18 and holds a dependent visa before 1 September of the calendar year in which they are admitted.
- Having a single entry permit to Hong Kong.
- Not being registered with an “Off-campus Study” status in student record.
B. Eligible Period
- Qualified students are eligible for the tuition waiver only within the normative study period:
- MPhil: 2 years from commencement
- PhD (with a research master’s degree): 3 years from commencement
- PhD (without a research master’s degree): 4 years from commencement
C. Tuition Waiver Handling Procedures
- Based on the current student information, the University will automatically waive the tuition of eligible students within the normative period of study. No separate application or procedures are required.
- If there are any changes of student information which make you qualify for the tuition waiver, students can notify the Academic Registry at email@example.com.
D. Deposit Refund for Eligible New Students
- For registered new students who are eligible for the waiver and have paid an admission deposit, the University will arrange for the deposit refund in November (Fall entry) or April (Spring Entry) through auto-payment to your bank account. Please ensure that you have provided your bank account details in the Student Information System after your registration.
E. Special Note for Clarification:
- The following students are NOT eligible for the waiver:
- Students holding a visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG).
- Students aged 18 or above and holding a dependent visa before 1 September of the calendar year in which they are admitted.
- Students whose tuition fees have been fully waived by any other schemes.
- Students receiving postgraduate studentship (PGS) from the University or the HK PhD Fellowship (HKPFS) are eligible for the waiver.
- Please write to us via Enquiry Form (Current Students > Others)