Guangzhou Pilot Scheme Admission, 2020/21
In concert with the preparatory work for establishment of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) (HKUST(GZ)) in Nansha, the University has rolled out a Guangzhou Pilot Scheme on the Clear Water Bay (CWB) campus to start enrolling research postgraduate (RPg) students. These students will conduct transdisciplinary research in Thrust Areas identified under the Hubs to be established in HKUST(GZ).
HKUST(GZ) is positioned to offer the same quality and standard of teaching and learning environment as HKUST, and adopts English as the basic language. In line with the requirements of HKUST, we are recruiting high-performing students from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds, and with different interests, perspectives, abilities, and entrepreneurial spirit.
Guangzhou Pilot Scheme - Fall 2020/21
Over 100 students joined the first cohort of the Pilot Scheme in Fall 2019/20. The University is now inviting applications for the second cohort. To join the second cohort under the Pilot Scheme in Fall 2020/21 as PhD or MPhil students, please check out details below:
- The target intake is 150 students, to be admitted to respective full-time PhD or MPhil programs.
- Prospective applicants should first identify a Thrust Area under the four Hubs which matches with their academic background and research interest.
- Given the transdisciplinary nature of the Thrust Areas, each student under the Pilot Scheme will be co-supervised by at least two faculty members from different disciplines. Applicants are strongly encouraged to name at least one prospective supervisor in their applications.
- The same set of admission criteria and standard applies to all applicants seeking admission to HKUST programs, including admission under the Pilot Scheme. All applicants are required to fulfill the University Admission Requirements, including the English Language Admission Requirements.
- Official admission offers WILL ONLY BE issued through the University’s online application system and shall be final. Other forms of preliminary offers, if any, are not official and should not be taken as binding. In case of questions, please write and check with the Office of Postgraduate Studies.
- Successful applicants under the Pilot Scheme will be admitted to existing full-time RPg programs of HKUST in Fall 2020/21 with the same student status as all other RPg students on the CWB campus. Tuition fee and access to studentship are also the same. They are expected to move to HKUST(GZ) to continue pursuing their respective programs once the conditions in the new campus are ready, tentatively in September 2022. Individual Thrust Areas may require students to conduct academic and/or research activities at the HKUST Fok Ying Tung Research Institute in Nansha at an earlier time after program commencement, as early as 2020/21.
- Admissions to HKUST GZ Pilot Scheme also constitutes admission to the corresponding HKUST (GZ) program once the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People's Republic of China granting the formal approval to the relevant program. Students in the HKUST (GZ) Campus are able to earn an additional degree, one from each campus, upon satisfying graduation requirements of both of the programs.
Application Start Date
- Application starts: February 2020
- Application deadline: 15 March 2020
- Please apply online at pg.ust.hk/applynow
- PhD applicants may choose any full-time PhD program currently offered on the CWB campus which is relevant to their research plan.
- For MPhil applicants, please select full-time MPhil in Individualized Interdisciplinary Program as the program choice. This applies to applicants in any area of interest.
- Please indicate your wish to be considered for admission under the Pilot Scheme by checking the relevant box in the online application.
We received a lot of enquiries from prospective students who are keen to seek admission under the Guangzhou Pilot Scheme. We have prepared an information sheet to address issues of common interest. We strongly advise that you take a look at this information sheet and write to us only if you have other questions for us. This will help us focus our efforts and speed up the process of handling the inquiries.