The HKUST (GZ) Information Hub focuses on addressing global challenges arising from human interactions with information and technology in today's era of digital transformation. The Hub is primarily comprised of four thrust areas: Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Analytics, Internet of Things, and Digital Media and Arts. In each of these areas, we are committed to providing a world-class education and conducting cutting-edge research with practical applications, with the purpose of not only advancing regional development but also making a global impact. We will achieve this mission through cross-disciplinary research and education in collaboration with other thrust areas from different hubs. We welcome students from diverse backgrounds, ranging from computer science, statistics, and engineering to business, design, and the arts.
The Artificial Intelligence (AI) Thrust in the Information Hub pursues both fundamental research in AI and applied research on a wide range of AI enabling technologies that can help to transform various applications of regional relevance, including design, finance, manufacturing, medicine, security and privacy, and smart living. Research students in the AI Thrust are expected to work closely with domain experts in the target application areas to develop transformative technologies using AI.
- AI in design
- AI in finance
- AI in manufacturing
- AI in medicine
- AI in security and privacy
- AI in smart living
The Data Science and Analytics Thrust in the Information Hub focuses on unifying statistics, machine learning, optimization, and their related techniques. By analyzing and modeling data, we aim to transform analytics into industrial and business insights for effective decision making. Research students will work closely with industry partners from relevant sectors to solve real-world problems using advanced data technology.
- Data-driven AI & Machine Learning
- Statistical Learning and Modeling
- Industrial and Business Analytics (Operations-Related Data Analytics, Business Intelligence and Strategy, etc.)
- Sector-Specific Data Analytics (Healthcare, Finance, Insurance, Marketing, Manufacturing, Transportation, etc.)
The Internet of Things (IoT) Thrust adopts an inter-disciplinary pedagogy to prepare students with integrated knowledge to pursue new innovations and to explore the new research frontiers in forming IoT-enabled future smart cities and digital society. Internet of Things is about a system that connects a massive number of devices (“things”), collecting and sharing data, and making smart decisions without much human intervention. IoT has been revolutionizing the way people live and work, enabling a smart and digital society. IoT is a multi-disciplinary area about the convergence of various fundamental enabling technologies.
- IoT infrastructure and devices: sensing devices, processors, integrated circuits, and embedded systems.
- IoT systems and communications: signal processing, wireless communications and networking, middleware, and cloud/edge computing.
- IoT intelligence and automation: data analytics, machine learning, and automatic control.
- IoT applications: smart home, smart city, smart transportation and autonomous driving, and smart healthcare.
- IoT security and privacy-enhancing technologies.
The Digital Media and Arts thrust area focuses on art creation and visual communication with new technology, with an emphasis on art with augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR), AI-generated art, information art and design, and data visualization. It promotes the interplay of art and technology and exploits the most advanced technology for art creation and visual communication with a social impact.
- AR+Art: How to use AR for art creation and education
- AI for Art: How to use AI to generate arts
- Art for society: How to embed art program into the community
- Narrative Visualization: How to tell the stories in data