The Systems Hub of the HKUST (GZ) Campus hosts a cluster of transdisplanery thrust areas focusing on smart manufacturing, intelligent transportation, robotics & autonomous systems, and bioscience & biomedical engineering. Based on the fundamental research in various technical areas, this Hub will facilitate the integration of multidisciplinary technologies and explore their applications in industry 4.0, internet of things, unmanned ground transporation and aviation, service robots, health care and pharmaceuticals. In addition to theorectial framework and experimental validation, computational modeling and simulation will be emphasized as well.
Smart manufacturing is a broad category of technologies that employ computer-integrated manufacturing, high levels of adaptability and agile design changes, digital information and data analytics, and more flexible workforce training. Other objectives may include rapid prototyping, supply chain optimization, efficient production and recyclability. A smart factory should have interoperable systems, multi-scale dynamic modeling and simulation, intelligent automation, strong cyber security, and networked sensors.
- Industry 4.0 or Made-in-China 2025
- Industrial Internet of Things (IoT)
- Integration and Packaging of Embedded Systems
- Advanced Human-Machine Interfaces
- Smart Sensors, Automated Optical Inspection (AOI), Location Detection Technologies
- 3D Printing and Rapid Prototyping
- Industrial Data Analytics
- Authentication and Fraud Detection
Robotics is a transdisciplinary branch of engineering and science that deals with the design, construction, operation, and use of robots, as well as computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing. An autonomous system is a system that performs behaviors or tasks with a high degree of autonomy (without external influence). Robots can be autonomous or semi-autonomous, and may or may not be constructed on the lines of human form. These technologies are used to develop machines that can substitute for humans and replicate human actions.
- Robotic Manipulation and Grasping
- Personal Assistive Robotics and Human Robot Interaction
- Future Agriculture Automation
- Robotics and Automation in Construction
- Autonomous Intelligent Driving Technology
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems
Intelligent transporation refers to the studies that aim to provide innovative services related to different modes of transport and traffic management and enable users to be better informed and make safer, more coordinated, and more efficient use of transport networks. The scope of intelligent transportation may cover all modes of transport, such as ground transportation and aviation, as long as information and communication technologies are applied, including infrastructure, vehicle-users interface, in-traffic and mobility management, as well as for interfaces between various modes of transport. Intelligent transporation may improve the efficiency of transport in a number of situations, e.g., road transport, traffic management, and mobility.
- Intelligent Transporation Technologies
- Computational Modeling
- Floating Car/Floating Cellular Data
- Inductive Loop/Video Vehicle/Bluetooth Detection
- Information Fusion from Multiple Traffic Sensing Modalities
- Collision Avoidance Systems
- Safety and Security of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- Green Aviation Technologies
Biomedicine is a branch of medical science that applies biological and physiological principles to clinical practices. This scientific study emphasizes standardized, evidence-based treatment validated through biological research. Biomedical engineering is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology for healthcare purposes. This field intends to bridge the gap between engineering and medicine, combining the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical biological sciences to advance health care treatment, including diagnosis, monitoring, and therapy.
- Regenerative Medicine & Disease Modeling
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Precision Medicine
- Plant Biology
- Chinese Medicine
- Healthy Aging
- Biomedical Engineering