Admission to HKUST Guangzhou Pilot Scheme, 2022/23
In concert with the preparatory work for establishment of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) (HKUST(GZ)) in Nansha, the University has rolled out a Pilot Scheme in Hong Kong campus for HKUST(GZ) to start enrolling research postgraduate (RPg) students since 2019/20 cohort.
HKUST(GZ) is positioned to offer the same quality and standard of teaching and learning environment as the Hong Kong campus. In line with the requirements of the University, we are recruiting high-performing students from a wide range of nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, and with different interests, perspectives, abilities, and entrepreneurial spirit. Upon the solid foundation of leadership in cultivating high-end talents and nurturing future leaders for the academia and industry, HKUST is now well placed to adopt an innovative approach through cross-disciplinary education and research at HKUST(GZ), to meet the needs of the ever-changing world.
HKUST Guangzhou Pilot Scheme - Fall 2022/23
HKUST(GZ) campus is targeted to open in September 2022. Over 350 students have joined the Pilot Scheme since Fall 2019/20. To join us under the Pilot Scheme in Fall 2022/23 as PhD, MPhil or MBA+ students, please check out details below:
- Prospective applicants could choose their interested GZ RPg programs offered by the Thrust Area(s) under the four Hubs which matches their academic background and research interest.
- Given the cross-disciplinary education and research at HKUST(GZ), each student under the Pilot Scheme will be assigned two co-advisors from different disciplines.
- The same set of admission criteria and standard applies to all applicants seeking admission to HKUST programs, including admission under the Pilot Scheme. All applicants are required to fulfill the University Admission Requirements. As Programs are taught in English, the University Admission Requirements include English Language Admission Requirements.
- Official admission offers WILL ONLY BE issued through the University’s Online Admission System and shall be final. Other forms of preliminary offers, if any, are not official and should not be taken as binding. The University will not issue any admission offer through other parties. If in doubt, please check the "application status" shown in the Online Admission System, and contact HKUST Fok Ying Tung Graduate School, if needed.
- Guaranteed university accommodation will be offered to Pilot Scheme students. The University will provide accommodation on campus to all research postgraduate students in the GZ campus during their normative period of study. Arrangements on the new campus will be advised later.
- Successful applicants under the Pilot Scheme shall complete registration as a student with HKUST(GZ) and move to the HKUST(GZ) campus to pursue their programs of studies, when HKUST(GZ) is formally established.
- When students have satisfactorily completed a degree program, the University will confer the corresponding HKUST degree.
- Exciting dual-degree PhD opportunities will also be offered across Hong Kong and Guangzhou campuses. Students can take advantage of complimentary expertise and state-of-the-art equipment from both campuses and pursue dual-degree PhD studies to engage in in-depth research from multiple angles on each campus to tackle real-world problems in the 21st century. Details please visit here.
Applicants who would like to apply for the MPhil studies under the GZ Pilot Scheme should apply for the "MPhil in Individualized Interdisciplinary Program (for HKUST GZ Pilot Scheme)" in the Online Admission System. Other MPhil programs are suspended until further notice.
Admission Timeline for Fall 2022/23
- 1 September 2021: Applications open
- 15 December 2021: First round applications close
- 1 March 2022: Second round applications close
- Mid-August 2022: Program registration