Prepare Your Packing List
- Passport or travel documents with a minimum of 6 months' validity
- Exit-Entry Permit for travelling to and from Hong Kong (for students from Mainland China)
- Visa or Entry Permit Label by the HKSAR Immigration Department
- Admission offer letter issued by HKUST
- University housing confirmation email or letter issued by HKUST
- Travel or health Insurance policy documents
- Proof of residential address in your home country (e.g. letters issued by banks, utility companies or the government, etc.)
- Original copies of your academic credentials
- Other identity documents
- Passport-sized photos for application of hall resident cards, travel visas, etc.
- Photocopies of your passport, identity documents, credit cards for back-up
- The cost of living varies with each student, depending on the accommodation and lifestyle choices.
- Please visit here for more ideas about the living cost in Hong Kong.
Other Personal Belongings and Items
- Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate with distinct seasons:
- Spring (March to May) - 17°C - 24°C
- Summer (June to August) - 26°C - 31°C (can rise above 31°C)
- Autumn (September to November) - 21°C - 27°C
- Winter (December to February) - 12°C - 20°C (can drop below 10°C)
- It is good to bring a good variety of clothing.
- Layering is recommended. Most campus buildings and university areas are air-conditioned.
- There is no central heating in the buildings. Adequate warm clothing is recommended for winter time.
- Bedding items: Bedding is not provided in the university accommodation.
- Laptops and computing facilities are available throughout the campus, but if you wish to use it in your student hall, it’s better to bring one.
- Adaptor: The voltage in Hong Kong is 220V/50Hz AC. The plugs are 3-pin square.
- Hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrush, bath towels, etc.) and medicines are good to have.
- Any personal items which make you feel at home.