COVID-19 Information for Prospective Students
The University and the world are now facing unprecedented challenges under the COVID-19. We are keenly aware of the challenging situations faced by our prospective postgraduate students. In this regard, the University is making respective arrangements to better facilitate and support our applicants and offer-holders.
For the latest information, please refer to the COVID-19 Info @HKUST website.
1. Updated Academic Arrangements for Fall 2021/22
- The targeted default mode of delivery for classes will be in-person on campus for Fall 2021/22 (starting on 1 September 2021).
- All members of the University should therefore plan to be in Hong Kong well in time for the Fall term, as far as possible.
- Some courses/sections would be offered in mixed-mode, blended, or real-time online mode, subject to approval by the University.
- For more details, please visit here and the frequently asked questions (FAQs) on academic arrangements.
2. Program Registration Arrangement for Fall 2021/22
- Students will be notified by the Academic Registry for online program registration from early August 2021. Please note that program registration will only be allowed when all the required official documents for offer confirmation are verified.
- For non-local students, student visa/ entry permit or appropriate visa for study must be obtained. Please allow sufficient time for processing your visa application.
- For the details of immigration measures for entry to Hong Kong, please visit item 4.
3. Quarantine Arrangement
The Hong Kong Government requires inbound travellers to undergo the quarantine depending on place of origin, when entering Hong Kong.
For Students travelling from the Mainland China/Macau
- Undergo the quarantine at home, hotel, or other accommodation.
- The University has obtained discounted booking rates for students at non-designated hotels for the purpose of quarantine. More information is available here. Students who wish to undertake quarantine at one of these hotels should make the booking directly via the hotels.
- If students are assigned a hall place in 2021/22, students may return to the hall during the 7-days self-observation period after the compulsory quarantine. Please observe the Points to Note Regarding Self-monitoring Period set by the Hong Kong Government.
For Students travelling from other areas
- Undergo the quarantine at designated hotels, according to the latest requirement of the Hong Kong Government.
- With effect from 25 March 2020, all non-Hong Kong residents coming from overseas countries and regions by plane will be denied entry to Hong Kong. For non-Hong Kong residents coming from the Mainland, Macao and Taiwan, they will be denied entry to Hong Kong if they have been to any overseas countries and regions in the past 14 days. For those coming to Hong Kong for study with a valid and approved visa, even if it is un-activated, they may be permitted to enter as a Hong Kong resident, subject to quarantine requirement. For more details, please visit: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html.
- As requested by the Hong Kong Immigration Department (IMMD), non-local students who are currently residing in Hong Kong will need to exit and re-enter Hong Kong before the expiry of their existing limitation of stay to activate their student visa/ entry permit for the new program admitted. Special requests under exceptional circumstances may be considered by IMMD on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Department/ Program Office for assistance.
- Some airline/immigration staff at your departure port might not be fully aware of the above immigration measures for entry to Hong Kong. In case you encounter any difficulties/emergency matters during your travel, you are advised to seek help from International SOS (ISOS) at +852 2528 9900 (collect calls will be accepted) or +1 215 942 8226. ISOS is a medical and security services company that offers 24/7 assistance worldwide. Please quote HKUST Membership number “07AYCA093635” when seeking assistance from ISOS. Also, you are strongly advised to download the ISOS Assistance App before your departure to Hong Kong. More information could be found at: https://studyabroad.ust.hk/outbound/resources/international-sos.
- For more details on travel restriction, please refer to https://covid19info.ust.hk/travel-restriction.
5. COVID-19 Vaccination/Testing Requirements for Fall 2021/22
In order to return to the ideals of our community and resume normal teaching and learning and other campus activities this Fall, the University encourages all students, staff, staff family members, domestic helpers and regular service contractors to get vaccinated before the start of the Fall term. If anyone cannot be vaccinated for medical/personal reasons, regular COVID-19 testing with results submitted to the University for confirmation will be required. For details, please visit here.
For applicants who are not able to take the TOEFL or IELTS due to the test suspensions, the University is now accepting the following test results as alternatives in meeting the University English Language admission requirements. It is a special arrangement applicable to applicants admitted in Fall 2021/22, Spring 2021/22, Fall 2022/23 or Spring 2022/23 under COVID-19; subject to change when the regular TOEFL or IELTS tests become available again.
- TOEFL-iBT Home Edition: Total score of 80 in one single attempt
- IELTS Indicator: Overall score of 6.5 and All sub-score of 5.5
- Duolingo English Test: Score of 105
Some programs may stipulate additional English Language requirements for admissions. Please refer to the Program Catalog (“Admission Requirements” of respective programs) for more information.
7. Suspension of PG Exchange, PG Visiting Internship and Visiting PG Programs
To ensure student health and safety, the University has decided to suspend the PG Exchange, PG Visiting Internship and Visiting PG Programs until further notice.
Please stay well and healthy during these difficult time. If you have any enquiries related to the above, feel free to contact us.
Last update: 20 Aug 2021